Lee-Anne Wann’s grain free breakfast bread
It’s not always easy finding healthy, tasty foods that the whole family can enjoy. What can be even more challenging is finding the time to prepare and make these foods. I am a big fan of recipes that make preparation quick, simple and effective. I can be easily put off a recipe if there are lots of ingredients required and / or there are a number of steps that need to be followed.
So for those of you out there who may have some of the same challenges I have, I’d love to share my favourite cave-man bread recipe – it’s totally gluten-and grain-free – in fact it just looks and tastes like bread, but really is a beautiful, nutrient dense, high protein loaf. It’s great for the kids’ lunches as a slice, perfect for breakfast with a poached egg on top, or even sliced and toasted with some mashed avocado or a little butter. It’s not about avoiding the things we enjoy but just finding ideas and options that might make them a little healthier and beneficial for you – I hope you enjoy!
‘Caveman’ breakfast bread
Prep time: 10—15 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes
This is a great, simple recipe for those who wish to be gluten-free but also need an option for bread or toast. It has a high level of protein which is important to keep you full and manage sugar cravings. Is very filling and tasty and can be frozen if desired.
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 4 tablespoons of coconut flour
- ¾ cup of flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. of sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp. of baking soda
- 8 free range eggs
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Place almond meal, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, salt and baking soda in a food processor or large mixing bowl and pulse / mix ingredients together.
- Add in eggs, coconut oil, walnuts, seeds and vinegar until well combined
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin (I use coconut oil to grease)
- Bake in a moderate over for 45 minutes
- Cool and serve
Lee-Anne Wann is a performance nutritionist, health and fitness expert. Follow her on Facebook: @Lee-Anne Wann Health & Fitness.