Greening up at work - finding the most eco office paper
Despite encouragement to become a paperless office or to think twice about whether we really need to print stuff out, reams of A4 paper used in offices around the country still contribute a great deal to the 293,315 tonnes of paper consumed in New Zealand every year. If you’re wanting to green up your workplace then the office paper you’re using is a great place to start but it can be a complicated task because there are so many factors to consider like % of recycled content vs. virgin content, bleaching processes, forestry stewardship, transportation etc. The Sustainable Business Council here in New Zealand has put together a comprehensive guide covering off all these issues called ‘How to Buy Sustainable Paper’.
Here in the ecostore office we use white A4 office paper from OfficeMax that is:
- 100% Post consumer recycled
- PCF process chlorine free (bleached using oxygen).
- Produced in an ISO14001 accredited facility
- Certified by Blue Angel (Der Blaue Engel) which is awarded to products and services which are of benefit to the environment and, at the same time, meet high standards of serviceability and health and occupational protection.
- The outer wrapper on each ream of paper is made of paper unlike those that come wrapped in cellophane.
What paper do you use in your workplace or home office? We’d love to hear any tips you have to share for greening up at work.