ecostore New Zealand Blog
Did you know there are more than 10,000* ingredients used in cosmetics and personal care products? While some of these are harmless to your health, many have been linked to problems ranging from skin irritation to hormone disruption.
Hair care products are no exception. A number of hair care products use harsh ingredients that not only strip oils from your hair when shampooing, but also coat it in chemicals like dimethicone when you’re conditioning to give an ‘impression’ of healthy hair which is why it’s important to read product labels and check whether any of these nasties are lurking in your shampoo and conditioner.
Top five chemicals to look out for in your hair care:
- Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate (SLS and SLES) – plant-based cleansing agents and known skin and eye irritants that break down your skin’s protective barrier which lets other chemicals get in. SLS is the industry benchmark for skin irritancy, and SLES has been found to be contaminated with 1-4 dioxane, a suspected carcinogen.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine (CAPB) – a high foaming plant-based cleaning agent, it is a known skin irritant (voted Allergen of the Year in 2004 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society) and a suspected environmental toxin.
- Parabens – one of the most widely used preservatives in personal care products. They have the ability to mimic oestrogen and cause hormonal imbalance, and have also been associated with breast cancer.
- Cocamide DEA/MEA – commonly found in personal care products to boost foam and produce long lasting bubbles. Possible carcinogens with contamination concerns.
- Dimethicone – a type of silicone that wraps around hair like cling-film, it gives the hair a nice soft feeling but is hard to remove, and can be irritating to the skin and slow to biodegrade.
Great looking hair doesn’t have to compromise your health
ecostore Hair Care is a breakthrough in beautiful healthy hair, without compromise. made from plant-based ingredients, to gently cleanse and nourish your hair without stripping or coating and enriched with natural oils such as Argan and Avocado oil for brilliant shine and light nourishment.
If you’d like to learn more about nasty chemicals, you can check out our full chemical database here.
*Environmental Working Group: ‘Why this matters – Cosmetics and your Health http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/2011/04/12/why-this-matters/